Notre Dame School of Manhattan offers a Catholic education for young women in the tradition of Anne de Xainctonge. Inspired by this 17th Century pioneer in women’s education, Notre Dame promotes academic excellence for girls, an awareness of God in their lives, and engagement in the world around them.
At Notre Dame in the 21st Century, the school’s small, nurturing environment encourages each student to be open to personal and intellectual growth. The rich cultural, racial, and ethnic mosaic of Notre Dame’s community and its urban location enhance global awareness. A challenging curriculum prepares talented young women for college and for lives of leadership and service.
History of Notre Dame School
The Sisters of St. Ursula founded Notre Dame School in 1912 when they came to New York from France. The school began in their home and hence became known as Chez Nous, an affectionate way of referring to the school that has been a second home to generations of young women.
Originally located at Our Lady of Lourdes parish (West 142nd Street, near Amsterdam Avenue), the school was known as the Academy of Our Lady of Lourdes until the Sisters moved the school to West 79th St. in 1943. At that time the name of the school was changed to Notre Dame Convent School and would eventually become simply, Notre Dame School.
In January 1989, the Sisters of St. Ursula sold the property on West 79th Street and transferred the ownership of the school to an independent Board of Trustees. The following September the school opened at 104 St. Mark’s Place in the East Village of New York City.
Strategic planning for the future of the school pointed to the need for a slightly larger student population to facilitate program changes relevant to the 21st century. To accommodate this modest growth and program changes, the school relocated to its current location, 327 West 13th Street in Greenwich Village, in the spring of 2002.
Notre Dame School continues to educate young girls in the Catholic tradition of Anne de Xainctonge who founded the Sisters of St. Ursula. She advocated for an excellent Christian education for young women characterized by attention to each student provided in a family-like atmosphere that prepares young women for lives of service in the spirit of the Gospel and leadership for the good of others. Today, these ideals are maintained by a staff of dedicated lay people.